Sunday, June 19, 2011

living on a shoestring...

When your a single mumma, with three kids - a teen queen, a "gangsta" teen, and a pre-schooler, two dogs, and a cat, feeding us all is an interesting challenge on a limited income and ever increasing food costs.

To some I'm known as frugal Vicky ... a title I like, to be honest.

so what does one do on a tight week?

Pen and paper .. and start opening cupboards, fridge and freezer and take stock....

And then plan the weeks menu, based on whats on that list.

as your writing down that menu, you are also writing your weeks shopping list.

This week I have managed to feed the five of us for $43 in all. Pretty clever eh?

Here's my six days of dinners all of us were out doing our own thing on Saturday night...

Roast Beef done in seeded mustard, garlic, ginger, olive oil and soy sauce, Roast potatoes, sweet Potato, and steamed broccoli and carrots, with butter and sesame seeds, Yorkshire puddings and gravy

chicken kebabs marinated in yogurt and mint, with cheese stuffed potato skins, stir fried vegetables

tuna fishcakes with lemongrass, ginger, garlic, coriander, salad and homemade chips

beef casserole, tomato, basil, onion, garlic, potato, sweet potato, corn, hp sauce, and rice

Pasta Bake (Pasta, Vicky style Bolognaise sauce, bechamal sauce) garlic bread

Moroccan pumpkin and chick pea soup, toasted cheesy french bread stick

Throw in baked goods - such as cupcakes, biscuits and pikelets for snacks, and there is the week done.

Thank god for Simple Savings. Made a huge difference to me!

How are you frugal?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great job! Every meal sounds wonderful and you've managed to do it so cheaply...I'm in awe! I feed a family of six on $200 a week and thought I was being frugal. Obviously I need to rethink the way I shop!
    Thanks for visiting me today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered compiling 'Frugal Vicky's Belly Fillers'... I'll buy a copy.. Renato sent me an address to use to publish yourself.. very easy... :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by... Leave some love :-)

 

Blog Design by Sommerfugl Design