Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I have a mental illness and take medication so that I'm ok


Image credit


OK? Got it?

See if that statement said -

I have diabetes and take medications so that I'm OK,

or,

I have thyroid condition and take medication so that I'm OK,

or,

I have a heart condition and take medication so that I'm OK,

it would not get the same response as

I have a mental illness, P.T.S.D. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and Acute Anxiety Disorder being my "formal" diagnosis. And I take medication so that I'm OK.

If my pancreas wasn't working properly I would need to take some form of insulin, make modifications to my lifestyle in order for me to live a healthy functioning life. This would be accepted by the general populace.

If my thyroid was creating too much or too little of the hormones it produces, I would be required to take medication in some form and make lifestyle changes...

If my heart... well you get the idea.

Well, my brain doesn't work properly. It doesn't create enough of the chemicals dopamine and serotonin, two  neurotransmitters that act as chemical messengers that relay nerve signals through the brain. Consequently, I have to take mediation, and make lifestyle adjustments in order to live a healthy functioning life.

For some people, the requirement to take medication to help with this chemical imbalance in their brain, may only be for a short time. For others, the imbalance is so out of whack that they will have to be on medication for the rest of their lives. I'm one of those people.

So don't judge me because I take medication in order for my brain  to work properly. You wouldn't judge me if I had diabetes, or a thyroid condition, or a heart condition. Get educated. People who have a mental illness don't just decide one day to "make it up". It's as real as any other organ in your body not functioning  optimally. 

One of the beautiful things about advances in medical technology is that we now have the ability to "map" a person's brain. Scientific evidence that someone's brain is not functioning properly can now be obtained. As they say  a picture can tell a 1000 words.

I have a mental illness and I take medication so that I'm OK.

And that is OK!!


Some Resources - get educated people! 

Reach out - supporting someone with a mental illness

Beyond Blue

R U OK? A conversation could change a life


22 comments:

  1. hallelujah! Unfortunately it wasn't until I was diagnosed w depression that I truly understood this.
    Don't judge a man until you've walked in his shoes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mental illness (anxiety, depression and PTSD) and I don't take medication for it at this time, but I have in the past, and I may again. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Cassandra. I have been off medication at different times in the last ten years, but as I seem to have complex PTSD, the years of living in a constant state of freeze, or flight, has taken its toll on my system. Not just my brain. I function better when I'm on medication.

      Delete
  3. Love this frank and honest post. It amazes me it has to still be pointed out... but it so does :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazes me too! It was a bit of a rant of my part. Was feeling over being judged because of ignorance and lack of information. Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  4. good for you! more people need to understand that it is okay to take meds for your mental illness. There is no shame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raine for stopping by, and for your support. :)

      Delete
  5. great post, thanks for sharing. i agree - mental illness needs to be accepted as any other (physical) disease.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo! The sooner we normalise mental illness the better. Vicky are a legend for opening this conversation. Your honesty and authenticity speaks volumes. Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you! I wrote something quite similar in perspective. I no longer am on anti-depressants, but I still need to deal with keeping the black dog at bay and the anxiety disorder under control.
    I love that you have taken control of your "condition" and you stand up to be counted.
    Because I have not hidden the fact from friends and family I am now a resource in myself. Others come to me for advice about themselves and loved ones. It's nice that there is something good that has come out of the experience.
    Keep loud, own it and I will join you in helping to reduce the stigma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bec. I often find myself in the same position. I'm a big one for researching for wanting to understand. So have come across some valuable resources that are quality.

      Leading up to during and a little less now, anxiety was rife. It does seem to be settling a little now. Need to go to the doctor about pain in my elbow, but the thought of going to a new doctor is kind of paralysing.... Silly eh? But that's the nature of the anxiety beast I'm afraid.

      Delete
  8. Me too! Having a mental illness and being on meds I mean :) Let's make a stand against stigma and be loud and proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larissa for stopping by, and yes Loud and Proud all the way!

      Delete
  9. I agree with medication to an extent, cos some things need to be worked on naturally cos there's a reason for most people's issues and that needs talking therapy, years ago when i first went to the doctor about my anxiety, i was 15 didn't know anything about my illness and was offered anti depressants till i made it clear i wasn't comfortable with going it and then was put on the list for counselloring, yes many need medication for certain illnesses and yes some people a helping hand to get through but if you don't really need it there's no magic pill that will cure it cos you need to the get the bottom of it, work on it and try overcome, step by step xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I agree with you, it has only been through a combination of therapy and medication that I have been able to get better. For me, one with out the other wouldn't have worked.

      Delete
  10. Telling it like it is. I have PMDD so will probably need to be medicated for that until I no longer menstruate and it is no longer an issue for me. It is not just PMS - I used to be literally a different person for a week and unable to get out of my car, for example.

    In the course of getting treatment for this, I also came to the conclusion along with my therapist that I have depression caused by losing years of my life to chronic illness. Bloody ironic that this happened once I went into remission!!

    I had to stand up and tell my story because I am one of the first people to say medication and treatment for a broken mind is as normal as medication and therapy for a broken leg, yet I was ashamed and didn't want people to think badly of me. Hypocrite!

    It is stories like yours that made me stand up and say I'm not afraid to say I need help. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your welcome Kim-Marie. Its through speaking our truth that we can make changes to how mental illness is perceived. Bravo you for speaking yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Doing a bit of light reading Tasha? ;) love you too beautiful xxx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by... Leave some love :-)

 

Blog Design by Sommerfugl Design