Thursday, October 20, 2011

The benefits of eating an elephant

One of the benefits of eating this elephant is not only am I chucking out a whole lot of accumulated "stuff", I have been finding things that I had forgotten I had. And me being Frugal Vicky they are things that can be re-cycled, re-used, re-gifted...

I found five beautifully simple glass cylinder vases that I had brought to put candles in for Aston's naming ceremony 4 and half years ago...(how does one forget that you have five vases - obviously have had lots of flowers NOT). Gift boxes that were in perfect condition, brand new children's books, picture frames, and other bits and pieces that I looked at and thought "Oh, so and so would love that for Christmas, or I could use that to put so and so's birthday present in."

One of my hobbies is making soy wax candles, so I'm always on the look out when visiting op shops for suitable containers. I had recently seen in a shop candles made in tea cups that looked gorgeous. On a recent op shop rampage, I found a whole lot of suitable teacups to make presents with.

It was one of my soul sister's birthday last Thursday. One of the vases came in handy to fill with a beautiful arrangement of flowers, and a gift box I covered in pretty wrapping paper (the teddy bears on it where just not doing it for me), and put two of the teacup candles I had made for her in the box.















Candles in a tea cup


Spring flowers


I do love it when I am able to create something beautiful out something else.

Do you re-cycle, re-create, re-gift?

4 comments:

  1. Those turned out beautifully. I try to re-create and recycle, but I'm still a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gift! The simple things are often the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made candles in cocktail glasses for my wedding; but they weren't recycled.
    I have much admiration for people who can find new uses for old things.

    Visiting from FYBF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love upcycling, I do it all the time! With 5 kids, and not much money you have too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by... Leave some love :-)

 

Blog Design by Sommerfugl Design